Sequencing Google Chrome 38.0 in AppV 5.0

It has been a while since my last blog post but I found something that’s hasn’t been blogged about or is specific enough to blog about. As far as I know…

Last week I was asked to see if I could sequence Google Chrome 38.0 using AppV 5.0 with hotfix 4 applied. For the same customer I was also asked to see if I could sequence Google Chrome 37.0 a couple of weeks ago. The attempt with Google Chrome 37.0 failed in their VDI environment with a crash on first launch while a second launch in the same session would succesfully start Chrome. On a non-VDI machine Chrome would work without a problem. I started some basic troubleshooting looking at their user environment tool Flex+ from Immidio and the state that was saved by the sequence. While I was away for presenting at AppManagEvent and a holiday the decision was made to deliver Google Chrome 37.0 as an MSI instead of a sequence. And someone else had made the MSI.

With the failure of starting Chrome in the VDI environment in mind I started a test installation of Google Chrome 38.0 applying the recipes of Aaron Parker and Cody Lambert that I used in the past to virtualize Google Chrome. This time I couldn’t get Google Chrome to work using these recipes.

These are the actions I carried out during my test installation on a 32-bit Windows 7 sequencing machine provided by the customer:

  1. Install googlechromestandaloneenterprise.msi.
  2. Move all files from the C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\38.0.2125.104 folder to the C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application folder.
  3. Delete the C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\38.0.2125.104 folder.
  4. Delete the C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\Installer folder.
  5. Disable two Google Update services.
  6. Disable two Google related Scheduled Tasks.
  7. Delete the C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome folder.
  8. Importing registry files to remove a pending file operation and to disable the auto updating functionality of Chrome.

After starting Chrome I was presented with an error that chrome_elf.dll could not be found. I could get rid off this error by moving or copying this file back to the C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\38.0.2125.104 folder. Now comes the strange part, I just tried to reproduce the error on one of my own 64-bit Windows 7 machines and I couldn’t reproduce it. Maybe the bitness or the OS language (customer’s is dutch, mine is english) has something to do with that.

Till now I haven’t found the reason for the chrome_elf.dll error.

But after placing the chrome_elf.dll back into the versionized folder I was presented with another unexpected error, which I suspect having something to do with disabling update services and scheduled tasks.

I ended up sequencing Google Chrome as is, without disabling updates and without following any recipe. The customer already has a Google group policy in place for the MSI version of Google Chrome that they have in production. I just delivered the group policy settings to disable Google Chrome from auto updating  to be added to the existing Google group policy. As far as I know the customer was testing Google Chrome but has abandoned version 38.0 to try and sequence version 39.0.

 

Leave a Reply